Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:42:54 -0500
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 4.2, FreeBSD -STABLE, drivers and capabilities

Hi,

How does one find out if there is an XFree86/FreeBSD driver for a given
video adapter and which features are supported (2d vs. 3d, accelerated
vs. unaccellerated)?

After searching the lists I think I've determined that GeForce4 is not
supported, but who actually KNOWS that or where is documentation/code
that one can read to find the definitive answer?

So maybe the GeForce3 has support?  XFree86 website
( http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status22.html#22 ) reports:

22. NVIDIA

4.2.0:
	Support (accelerated) for the Riva 128, 128ZX, TNT, TNT2 (Ultra, Vanta, M64),
	GeForce (DDR, 256), Quadro, GeForce2 (GTS, Ultra, MX), GeForce3, and Quadro2 is
	provided by the "nv" driver.

Since I'm running 4.2.0 and I have the file:

	/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nv_drv.o

Do I have accelerated 2d/3d support?

Searching google groups turns up older, ambiguous results.  For example on -STABLE,
in July 2001 ( http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=9j464j%242jpu%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw )
reports...

   "Well, to put this to rest...

   2D support (non-accelerated) has been working for Geforce models since
   at least 4.0.1 (if not before). I've used my Geforce 2 MX with all
   releases from 4.0.1 to 4.1.0. The announcement is for the accelerated
   2D/3D drivers, currently Linux-only. The FreeBSD drivers are in the
   works, and we're currently just waiting for NVIDIA to help us out on
   some central issues (see http://nvidia.netexplorer.org). With any luck,
   and the NVIDIA engineers having a bit more time (nForce launch and all),
   we should have 3D support for pretty much the full line of NVIDIA cards
   within the next several weeks."

But I've seen nothing newer that would substantiate that.

So before I plunk down $100US+ for a graphics adapter, how do I KNOW that
the card (and which features) is supported?

--
Regards,
Doug