Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:55:05 -0300
From:      daniel_sobral@voga.com.br
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Device Driver

Just a brief note of thanks to everyone that helped me. The driver is now
working, though with still a few rough edges. Special thanks to Julian,
whose device driver creation script most certainly enormously (sp?) reduced
the pain of creating my first (Unix) dd. Now, if he would only commit the
fixes I sent him... ;-) Except for the last one, doubling the backlashes on
a macro, which seems not to work.

Now, for a few more questions, regarding those few rough edges and related
subjects... :-)

1) It would be nice if the driver would compile both under 3.0 and 2.2.
Now, I realise this is not _really_ possible, because the define I have to
check does not depend on what you are compiling for, but on what the gcc
was compiled under. Now, if someone would tell me _what_ this define name,
I'd be really grateful. Again, if there is any driver in the 3.0 tree that
does this trick already (same driver under both 3.0 and 2.2), would someone
kindly indicate it to me?

2) Would someone document *somewhere* what the hell is the syscon key code
that's supposed to bring up the kernel debugger? I had to USTL for this.
Worse of all was the handbook, which _mentioned_ it's existance, but failed
to give it's name.

3) And, btw of documenting things what would be the easiest way of learning
how to write a man page?
4) Last of all, drivernameread() and drivernamewrite() receive an ioflag
parameter, but I could not find any mention of what these flags might be.
References, anyone?

--
Daniel C. Sobral                      (8-DCS)
Daniel_Sobral@voga.com.br

Tagline:
   * FreeBSD. Earth.