Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:44:10 -0500
From:      Brian Bobowski <bbobowski@cogeco.ca>
To:        Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: three questions

Lars Eighner wrote:

>> 3) I change resolution for consoles as vidcontrol -g 100x37
>> VESA_800x600 green. Can I change rate? How to do it?
>

> I don't know what rate you mean.

Refresh rate is a common video parameter that I can think of, and often
specified with resolution. Since vidcontrol refers to the console
driver, however, it's probably not going to be terribly significant,
console being mostly low-res text. If there is a way to specify refresh
rate, I didn't find it in man vidcontrol.

If the resolution/refresh under X is what you need to change, having the
appropriate modelines in the X config file(if the defaults aren't
suitable) will allow you to use CTRL-ALT-Keypad+ and -Keypad- to cycle
through the available resolutions. As long as the "Section Monitor ...
EndSection" segment of the file properly defines the HorizSync(usually
in kHz) and VertRefresh(usu. Hz) parameters of the monitor, the default
available modes are usually sufficient; having those settings in there
will, I believe, prevent X from trying to use a refresh rate that is not
within your monitor's capacity even if it's specified.

-BB