Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 19:48:40 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cvsup and file permissions

This is something I've kind of been ignoring for a while, but now that
I'm tracking current/BETA on a couple more machines, I'd like to solve
it.  I don't see anything obvious in the manpage.

Basically, I maintain one copy of the CVS tree on our big server with
cvsup, and use remote CVS+ssh to check stuff out onto other machines.
Because CVS needs write access, I have set up a group for the users
that have permission to do this sort of thing.  The problem is that cvsup
keeps taking the group permissions away when it updates the repository.

chris@cheddar:~$ ls -l /usr/cvs/freebsd/
total 4
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  cvs  1536 Oct 15 19:20 CVSROOT/
drwxr-xr-x  45 root  cvs  1024 Oct 10 22:21 ports/
drwxr-xr-x  22 root  cvs   512 Oct 15 19:20 src/

I want those to be 775, not 755.  I can change them all, but next time
I cvsup, I get a SetAttrs line for every directory, and it puts them
back.  Is there some way to avoid this?
--
Christopher Masto        Director of Operations  S   NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net   SSS  http://www.netmonger.net