Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 18:36:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenSSL update

Due to time constraints (exams) I haven't been able to do much more
towards the OpenSSL build infrastructure (specifically, jumping through
the requisite hoops for US stupidity). I have it building fine, although
compiling without RSA seems broken in openssl 0.9.4. Unfortunately, the
openssl binary seems to depend nontrivially on both libcrypto and libssl,
so we can't get away with just importing the former, without some
recoding.

Since I'm flying back home to australia next tuesday, and we have a
feature freeze for -current coming up, what I'll probably do is just
import all of openssl into the international repository, and enable the
build only for people who have defined USA_RESIDENT==NO. When I get back
in January I can get the munged version (i.e. w/o RSA sources, optionally
building with RSAREF) imported and enabled for US people, as well as
solving the binary distribution problem. The alternative, given the
feature freeze, seems to be to forgo any kind of enhanced crypto support
in 4.x, which would suck.

Sound okay to everyone?

Kris