Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 2020 19:28:39 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>, Alexander Koeppe <format_c@online.de>
Subject:   Re: Light GeoIP support dropped?

On 1/6/20 6:04 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 1:17 PM Alexander Koeppe <format_c@online.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> since I've upgraded to FreeBSD 12, I don't find a package providing the
>> lightweight geoip database API incl. GeoIP.h and libGeoIP.so.
>>
>> I only find `geoipupdate` which is the non-free variant of the API.
>>
>> Has the package been renamed?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>         - Alex
>
> GeoIP and the GeoIP 1 database were discontinued early last year. They were
> replaced by net/libmaxminddb and GeoIP 2 database. I have no idea if any
> form of free data is available.

there is a partial alternative in ports...

https://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=ipdbtools&search=go&num=10&stype=name&method=match&deleted=excludedeleted&start=1&casesensitivity=caseinsensitive

It uses the official national registrations for country enumeration,
and can generate firewall tables directly.

Here's the cron script I use to generate a table in ipfw that only
allows australian and US addresses (for example):

#!/bin/sh
ALLOWFILE=/root/AU+USA-GEOIPS.ipfw
MAILTABLE=20
ALT_MAILTABLE=21
AU_VAL=10000
US_VAL=10200

#fetch latest geo-ip ranges and set AU and USA into table ${MAILTABLE}
ipdb-update.sh
ipup -t AU=${AU_VAL}:US=${US_VAL} -n ${ALT_MAILTABLE} > ${ALLOWFILE}
ipfw table ${ALT_MAILTABLE} flush
ipfw -q -f ${ALLOWFILE}
ipfw table ${MAILTABLE} swap ${ALT_MAILTABLE}