Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:51:33 -0500
From:      Jim Graham <jim@n5ial.gnt.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   digital camera suggestions for FreeBSD 4.1.1

First, let me apologize---this question is only 50% FreeBSD related,
but also let me explain....  I'm thinking about buying a digital camera,
but have found my choices for cameras that use a floppy (and thus are
easily supported by anything) to be rather limited (Sony Mavica MVC-FD92
seems to be the only real choice there).  So, I'm looking for suggestions
on a camera that will interface easily with FreeBSD 4.1.1.  That's *THE*
reason why I'm posting this here....

Also, I should add, I've never used USB---I've seen the cables, but
that's as far as it goes, so don't assume any useful background there.
Assume idiot-mode on that topic.  :-(

Here's what I'm looking for:  a digital camera in the $500--$700 price
range (US dollars), roughly 2 Megapixels (or better), that can interface
easily with FreeBSD 4.1.1 on a PC platform (USB available...don't know
how to use it or what to do with it).  Preferably, I'd like one with
optical zoom, the ability to add/swap lenses (wide angle, telephoto,
etc.), filters, and so on, but those may well drive it out of my price
range.  Ability to record MPEGs would be nice, but rarely used.  A decent
amount of internal memory, and extra NiCad or Li Ion battery packs are
both in the must-have category.

If anyone has used any digital cameras that fit into these categories,
please let me know what brand/model, your impressions, your typical
usage of the camear (i.e., simple stuff for web pages or memory pics,
amateur photography, professional photography, etc.), and so on.

If you reply directly to the list, please CC me at jim@n5ial.gnt.net.
As of 11Sep01, I'm not home much, and am roughly 7000 messages behind
on this dist.list (I did a quick check, and found some messages that
start to answer some of my questions, but not all)....

Thanks,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)               MiSTie #49997        < Running FreeBSD 4.1.1 >
jim@n5ial.gnt.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM / Hurricane: 30.39735N 86.60439W

             Down, not across.  --alt.sysadmin.recovery motto