Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:56:31 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware reccomendations

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 11:06:57 -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Ben Nell wrote:
> >Hi All:
> >
> >I am running FreeBSD 5.2 on a Dell Inspiron 8600, and I am interested
> >in swapping out the mini-pci wireless NIC.  It's a Centrino machine,
> >and I believe that the 802.11b card that is currently present is a
> >Broadcom.  Regardless, it doesn't appear to be supported.  I've used
> >the NDIS wrapper driver found in current release, but I'm not happy
> >with it's performance and would prefer to just replace the card with a
> >well-supported 802.11g card.
> >
> >What I'm looking for is a reccomendation of chipset/brand/model from
> >anyone.  I'm fairly new to wireless networking and would appreciate
> >any insight or personal opinions anyone would care to share.
>
> I bought a 'Netegriti' card (EM-500AG I think), and it works flawlessly.

I've got one of those as well, and it seems to work well.

I've got an Inspiron 8500.  It fit in the minipci slot, but was shorter
than the original Broadcom b/g minipci card.  I think the antenna connectors
on it were also swapped, when compared to the Broadcom card.  There was just
enough slack in the antenna wires to connect it up.

It works fine in A, B, and G modes with the ath driver.  I think the only
thing missing is working Turbo (802.11a) mode support in the ath driver,
unless that has been fixed in the past few months.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org