Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 19:00:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
To:        Vincent Defert <vdefert@trace.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Vincent Defert wrote:

> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> I am using an old version of Linux and I consider upgrading.
> FreeBSD seems to have a very positive image, but the same is
> true of Linux.
>
> Could you please explain the main differences between them,
> and why people who tested both systems chose FreeBSD rather
> than Linux?
>
> I think it would be interesting to include this discussion
> in the FAQ, provided these differences are not just a matter
> of individual taste or activism.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Vincent Defert
> (vdefert@trace.fr)

> with "unsubscribe questions" in the body of the message

My own experience:  (I've tried both)

I've had many problems with the early releases of Linux (0.99xx)
timeout with the scsi boards (adaptec) and garbaged screen
after having stopped XFree.

I bought several version during a year without any success.

When I bought the FreeBSD 1.1 CDROM, it worked without any
problem. I regularly upgraded FreeBSD, I'm using 2.2.5-RELEASE
at the office and 3.0-Current at home.

FreeBSD:

+ really fast
+ relyable file system
+ rock solid tcp/ip
+ wonderful support [though the mailing lists]
+ only one really good distribution
+ packet filter/ ip accounting
+ easy installation

- sound drivers
- linux emulation problems

I'm running:
3  machine as a web server   2.2.5-RELEASE
1  routeur/firewall          2.2.2-RELEASE
3  minitel servers           2.2.2-RELEASE
1  home machine              3.0-SNAPHOST (DECEMBER) / LINUX REDHAT 5.0

Linux:
+ system administration utilities for X11
+ Commercial applications
+ sound system

- too many distributions
- too many installation procedures
- flaky installation
- too many versions
- file system problems

In short, I would only choose FreeBSD for a server

For a workstation, as I'm used to FreeBSD I would use FreeBSD but
RedHat Linux is a really good alternative.

--
Didier Derny
didier@omnix.net