Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:03:00 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

On Wednesday, 24 November 1999 at 16:33:52 +0100, James A Wilde wrote:
>> (from mutt) specially for that purpose.  On the other hand, you'll
>> find it convenient to have an editor window open somewhere once you
>> realise that you can comfortably edit 200 files at the same time.
>> It's like a notepad reminding you of what you're doing.
>
> Can I have vi open somewhere in the background then?

Sure.  The original suggested that it was a disadvantage.

> I don't mean under some kind of GUI.

Why not?

> I do use the command line for most things.

That's not a contradiction.  But X enables you to navigate more
comfortably, and to see multiple things on the screen at once.

> Talking of which, in Linux I can have four terminals open
> simultaneously and reach them with Alt-F1, Alt-F2, etc.  Does
> FreeBSD have some equivalent?

Yes.  Exactly the same thing.  Look at the comments in /etc/ttys for
more details.

> This FreeBSD machine was installed by someone who really didn't
> expect that it was worth leaving manuals, paper or electronic, for
> the likes of me so I can't easily look in the documentation
> directory.

Take a look at http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook.html.  It should also
be on your machine as file:/usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.html, but
it looks like it isn't.

Greg