Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:57:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        frank@exit.com, crichard-freebsd@wso.williams.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, cg@FreeBSD.ORGG
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster Live! 4.0 (Re: 4.1 date?)

Chad R. Larson wrote:
> As I recall, Frank Mayhar wrote:
> > Well, I'm guessing that it's the card itself generating the NMIs
> > because it wasn't initialized correctly by the driver.  Of course,
> > Cameron should be the one to answer this, and so far I haven't seen
> > him chime in.
> Except most PC hardware has no trace on the buss for NMI; add in
> cards can't generate it.

Well, yeah.  I guess I left out the word "indirectly" between "itself" and
"generating."

> > ECC memory seems to be the common denominator; it may be that the card
> > is doing Bad Things to the bus during memory accesses.  I don't know,
> > I don't have specs for the card so I can't really make any kind of
> > educated guess, but I certainly hope this helps Cameron figure it out.
> That's the big hint.  NMIs are generated when error correcting (ECC)
> or error detecting (parity) memory has an uncorrected error.
>
> Does this card have on-board memory?  Or is it doing DMA transfers?

My bet is it's doing DMA but I don't know for certain.  I'm going to try
to pry some information out of Creative today.  Scream and groan and invoke
the name of my employer.  "Compaq" has that 800-pound-gorilla effect at times.
Claim it's for Linux and therefore it's gotta be open-source.  Not entirely
misleading, either, we've got a number of Linux projects going on.
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com	http://www.exit.com/