Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 1996 10:44:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      "J.C. Archambeau" <jca@accessnv.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPX Support?

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Doug White wrote:

>> Yes, plus being able to share a printer with one on a Novell network.
>> Printer can be on either side, TCP/IP or IPX/SPX.  I know Linux already
>> has IPX support available.  I don't know how extensive it is.  I haven't
>> looked into the documentaton for ipxtools.  I'm trying to make a decision
>> between FreeBSD and Linux.
>
> Is the printer a HP with a JetDirect card?  If so those have a lpd
> server built into the card -- all you have to do is plug in the proper
> printcap entry to forward prints to that machine.

The printer is going to be on a print server.  If it is easier to have
the machine on the FreeBSD machine, that will do.  The printer will be
any type of printer hooked into a parallel or serial port.

> Otherwise, I don't know.  If it's a strictly Novell printer (ie, a regular
> printer hanging off a Novell print server) I don't know if we can
> interface to that or not.

What exact are the proposed IPX capabilities of FreeBSD?  Or what phases
will they be incorporated into the distribution?  I'd like to see full
capability down to file and printer sharing, but I know that most likely
won't be incorporated all at once.  I know that FreeBSD is bit more on
the conservative side with respect to development (judging from reading
the newsgroups) and doesn't take the "bite off more than we can chew"
approach to development and incorporating features.

 JCA