Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:22:58 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, marcs@znep.com, imp@village.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mike Shaver: Netscape gives away source code for Communicator

On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 11:28:08PM -0800, Alex Belits wrote:
> > I expect them to retain editorial control on the "official releases".
> > This is, in fact, only slightly more restricted than GPL, wherein the
> > GPL code is maintained by a central repository.  Cygnus proved that
> > there is room for one (and *only* one) editorial source per GPL style
> > product.
>
>   Emacs - XEmacs - Mule (ok, last one is now going to merge with every of
> first two). And while not the most stable thing in the world, pgcc exists,
> as a separate gcc branch.

For the emacs side of this: I don't think this has led to much good.
It's just leading to more and more problems for developers and users
alike.  The presence of XEmacs has made some things enter FSF Emacs in
a very rushed fashion, MULE being a good example of how badly that can
turn out (the code is just hacked all through Emacs, with a
significant slowdown as a result, and no way to disable it.  In
XEmacs, it is supposedly maintained as a 'clean cut')

Eivind.