Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:15:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sanity regained -- back with the best

On 18-Jul-99 Nik Clayton wrote:
> Conrad,
>
> You have been a bad, bad, boy, and we are going to have to punish you.
>
> The FreeBSD Documentation Project is in dire need of a "FreeBSD for Linux
> Users" tutorial, that goes through the major differences between FreeBSD
> and Linux, and can be read by a RedHat or Debian user to get themselves
> up to speed.
>
> It doesn't need to be too complex.  For example, you could have
> paragraphs like
>
>     You might be familiar with RedHat's RPM system, or Debian's .deb files,
>     to help automate the installation and registration of complex software
>     (in both source and binary form).  FreeBSD has a similar mechanism,
>     called the ports/package system.  "ports" are for automating the
>     process of distributing source code, then compiling it and installing
>     it on a FreeBSD system.  "packages" are for automating the installation
>     of pre-built binaries on a FreeBSD system.
>
>     The equivalent commends are
>
>           RPM               Debian              FreeBSD
>
>           XXX               XXX                 pkg_add ...
>           XXX               XXX                 pkg_info ...
>           XXX               XXX                 pkg_delete ...
>
> and so on.  D'you get the idea?
>
> If you can (a) write this, and (b) promise the maintain it, we'll be
> persuaded to forgive you, OK :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> N (Doc. Proj. Manager)

Sounds like I've got an interesting new project before me.  :-)

Only thing is, I don't have any Linux experience other than with RedHat.  Never
tried any other distributions.  So, for Debian, or others, I'll be needing some
input from others.

But yes, sounds doable.  Not sure how unbiased it'll be, though.  :-)

E-Mail: Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>