Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 13:57:02 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        sales@bsdmall.com, Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5 Pre-Orders Available

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 02:39:55AM -0600, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com> [020109 02:22] wrote:
> > Daemon News is pleased to announce the availability of pre-orders for=
=20
> > FreeBSD 4.5.  This will be our first release of FreeBSD on CD.  We will=
=20
> > be using the official FreeBSD 4.5 ISOs created by the FreeBSD project.
> > The expected release date for FreeBSD 4.5 is January 20th.  We expect t=
o=20
> > have CDs available two weeks after that.
> >=20
> > We are taking pre-orders at this time to help gauge the number of CDs w=
e=20
> > will need to produce. =20
> >=20
> > You can pre-order CDs from:
> >=20
> >   http://www.bsdmall.com/freebsd45.html
>=20
> Is that the new CD cover?  (black with red lettering?)
> It's really awesome.  (yes just ordered it. :) )

I agree!

Looking at the text on that page though, it seems that it could do
with some updating.  For example:

----
Since our release of FreeBSD 2.0 in late 94, the performance, feature
set, and stability of FreeBSD has improved dramatically.

The largest change is a revamped virtual memory system with a merged
VM/file buffer cache that not only increases performance, but also
reduces FreeBSD's memory footprint, making a 5MB configuration a more
acceptable minimum. Other enhancements include full NIS client and
server support, transaction TCP support, dial-on-demand PPP,
integrated DHCP support, an improved SCSI subsystem, ISDN support,
support for ATM, FDDI, Fast and Gigabit Ethernet (1000Mbit) adapters,
improved support for the latest Adaptec controllers, and many hundreds
of bug fixes.
----

It took me a little while to work out that the "revamped VM system"
was probably referring to 3.0-RELEASE.  There's also some other old
cruft in that text which describes changes from about 5 years ago.

Another comment is that you might like to explicitly mention AMD and
Pentium IV compatibility, as well as PC/98 architecture (maybe,
although this is probably only useful for the japanese market) to
possibly head off some new user confusion.

Kris

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V--