Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:05:00 +0000
From:      Alexander Derevyanko <der@pc759.cs.msu.su>
To:        "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <prime.gushi.org!danm@pc759.cs.msu.su>
Cc:        FreeBSD.ORG!questions@pc759.cs.msu.su
Subject:   Re: PPP questions.

"Dan Mahoney, System Admin" wrote:

> Is there any way to have ppp periodically ping the remote host and drop
> and reconnect if the ping fails?  I'm on a system where the host will get
> "stupid" and although I can still hear modem noise, I can't see any
> network activity.

User ppp have build-in filters capability. It's very usefull. Just
configure it such,
that it automatically hangup after 5 minutes unactivity on RECEIVING
packets.
If you need it to connect forewer run in background ping -i 60
some.good.host

> ALSO:
>
> Is there some way of tracing what connection attempt is opening the
> connection in automatic mode (for example, stupid adware, or windows media
> player trying to see if there's a new version available)?  And once I
> know, is the a way of blocking it?  It seems JUST BOOTING win98 will cause
> a connection to be open.

Best of all, doesn't use natd capability of ppp. Install instead squid
and configure acl list
such that it blocks some requests (analyse log files to see what
requests needs blocking).
You also may wish to enable logging on you proxy DNS server (supposing
you install one)
and find out what names does it need to resolve - most of all, it is the
root of the evil.
If you install squid, you can safely block ALL connections to you DNS
proxy from internal network.