Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 16:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> John S. Dyson wrote:
> >
> > The good thing about school vouchers is that even alot of families in poverty
> > care about their kids.  They can also vote with their voucher.  I would think
> > that the voucher would "enable" the poor folk, and not necessarily give

John, this is also my perspective....

> 	i dont know....regarding the tax break for college tuition,
> 	i hear that college will raise prices by the amount of the
> 	tax break.  if that is true, wouldnt private schools raise
> 	tuition by the amount of the voucher?
>
> 	annelise, what is your take on this aspect?

Ultimately in a competitive market, you can't do this.  The competition
will come along and cut the prices.  I saw an article recently about
some colleges cutting tuition.  Of course competition doesn't happen
overnight and those already in the market will want to create barriers
to entry--e.g., the teachers' unions will lobby for the imposition of
various rules and regs (teachers must have a teacher certification,
etc. etc.) to protect what they've got.

Just my take.

	Annelise