Date:      Wed, 7 Dec 2011 20:50:07 GMT
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/163102: linprocfs mounted in wrong location in Handbook

The following reply was made to PR docs/163102; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To: Kevin Baxter <voidchicken@gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 22:48:36 +0200

 On 7/12/2011 8:38 μμ, Kevin Baxter wrote:

 >> If it happens that 9.0 installs into /compat, we should either add
 >> this to the documentation or file a PR so that either the linux_base
 >> package or bsdinstall creates the link.
 >> But from the current PR it seems the OP was using 8.2-RELEASE which
 >> should not exhibit this.
 >

 > I'm using a ZFS root, so I used the wiki's RootOnZFS page to install
 > (which doesn't use sysinstall, and doesn't mention /compat).

 Ah, that explains it then.
 We could add this info to the wiki or just change the Handbook to
 /compat instead of /usr/compat since this will work in all cases anyway.
 I'm more inclined to do the latter (maybe with an additional note on
 custom installs).

 > So is this a case of a non-standard installation being unsupported?
 > Should the wiki be changed to include that symlink? Or should one of
 > the install scripts be changed to make the symlink?

 As it happens, bsdinstall on 9.0-RC3 still won't make the link so
 /compat is again created as a directory rather than a symlink. The
 default installation now uses a single UFS partition for everything
 rather than the legacy slice with /tmp /usr/ /var etc. so the
 probability of installing something on / and going out of disk space is
 minimal (but not zero, as someone may still opt to use MBR partitions
 and linux_base needs about 140 Mb of space). A PR for bsdinstall(8) for
 this is probably a good idea.