Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:17:33 +0000
From:      Michael Doyle <relyod@co-operation-ireland.ie>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ld.so problem

I seem to have a problem with linking to shared libraries
I need help !

Here is what I have done

I installed PostgreSQL - and the executables were complaining
 about not findinf their libraries. The documentation said to
 add a line "/usr/local/pgsql/lib" to the file
 /etc/ld.so.conf and to run ldconfig.

Installing PostgreSQL involved adding two kernel options - so I also
installed a new custom kernel.

This file (/etc/ld.so.conf) did not previously exist, so I created
it, with the given line. Running ldconfig did not seem to work
(the "psql" executable still could not find its library file)

So... reading more into the PostgreSQL documentation, I find instructions
to the effect that I can override the library search path with the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

Setting this variable to point to "/usr/local/pgsql/lib" worked.

Now, howver, I can't run an X terminal

"xterm" reports it can't find a library. ("libXaw.so.6.1")
This never happened before - the only way I can make it work is to add
"/usr/X11R6/lib" to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

Even adding /usr/X11R6/lib to the "/etc/ld.so.conf" file does not help
Neither does renaming and re-creating the hints file by running ldconfig.

What has gone wrong, and how do I get my system to work the way it used to ?
(Listing ALL the library paths in each users .login is a kludge...,
and won't work for suid programs.)

Another problem I noticed at the same time was that MySQL will no longer work
Possibly because of library path issues, or possibly I "broke" something
else as well.

Any help appreciated,
Please mail me directly, I'm not subscribed to the -questions list
cause I can't keep up with the volume of mail each day.

Mike

Michael Doyle                    email: relyod@co-operation-ireland.ie
Network Administrator            personal email:    relyod@indigo.ie
Co-operation Ireland	  http://www.co-operation-ireland.ie/
Phone: +353-1-661 0588                          Fax: +353-1-661 8456

*** NOTE: our domain name HAS changed. If you are still using the old
"co-operation-north.ie" domain for web site or email addresses, please
update it.