Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 12:35:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Stanaford <rstan@ime.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   First reboot after installation...

  Hello all,

  Please be aware that I am not currently subscribed to this list.  If you
respond please be sure to CC it to my email, rstan@ime.net with
instruction on how to subscribe.  :)  Thank you.

	I am having a problem with FreeBSD 2.2.2.  I had elected to do the
FTP installation and things seem to go fine.  Using the holographic shell
on tty4, I even go through the file system as it is being built and
everything looks fine.  I chose to do the minimal installation and then I
would add XFree86, doc, sources, and so on at a later time.  I get to the
point where the download is completed and I am told that my machine will
reboot and start FreeBSD from the hard disk.  As my machine is booting up,
the devices are probed as you would expect.  But then I see this message :

/etc/rc:  Can't open /etc/rc
init:  /etc/spwd.db:  No such file or directory
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

Uhm... what is that?  :)  Then, when I perform a "df" to see my disk
utilization, all I see is :

root_device  "some stuff about usage"    /

My mount points are gone.  I have tried this both with Win95 and FreeBSD
sharing the HD, and with FreeBSD claiming the entire disk, both with the
same results.   Any info would be appreciated.

	Thank you,
	- Richard