Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:49:13 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Bret Ford" <bford@cwia.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Device order with two SCSI cards

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 08:10:58 -0700, Bret Ford wrote:

>I've got an ATS (Ancient Technology Server) box with an Adaptec 2742
>fast/wide EISA SCSI card and an Adaptec 1542C ISA SCSI card.  My boot device
>(CAMified) is da0 on the 1542C.  da1, a 2 gig full height brick, is also on
>the 1542C.  I've recently acquired a fast SCSI Seagate Elite 9 gig drive
>which I'd like to use to augment my storage.  The problem:  The system is
>trying to boot from the new disk.  The kernel probe indicates that it is
>mapping the new drive to da0.  My question:  is there some good way to get
>the drive to map to da2?  Thank you!

Where did you hook the new Seagate??  On the 2742??  What SCSI ID did
you set it to??
If it's set as SCSI ID 0 and so is da0, you could be in real trouble.
If it's on the 2742, you should be able to turn off the SCSI boot
device support on the 2742.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.