Date:      Sun, 26 May 1996 05:42:23 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org, imb@scgt.oz.au, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: try this .. panic :-(

>i) insert write protected floppy
>ii) dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/fd0 bs=9k
>iii) oops .. WP errors .. pulls floppy out of drive w/o hitting ^C first
>iv) panic: page not present

This has been reported before, but I couldn't duplicate it then or now
in -current.

Don't use block disk devices if you value your data.  I/O errors aren't
reported to the application.  They are only logged.  Perhaps they should
be reported by close().  dd would still ignore them.  It doesn't even
bother to close the output file explicitly :-(.

Bruce