Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:10:29 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>, Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -pipe switch in kernel compilation

[Moved to -chat before I'm lynched]

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 01:53:10PM -0700, a little birdie told me
that Warner Losh remarked
> In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.1000111133039.4135B-100000@calvin.saturn-tech.com> Doug Russell writes:
> : See, I knew there was a reason I hung on to all these 1M 30 pin SIMMs. :)
> : Old 386/40s sure make nice little router/modem/whatever boxes.  :)
>
> Until their hard disks go south :-(.  The biggest problems I have with
> them is that they also tend to dislike newer ATA disks.
>
> Then again, I have 512k 72pin SIMMS around for when I want to try to
> boot the kernel in 2MB of memory.  Not that I want to do this very
> often...

I have a 386 SX/16 (no 387) with 4 megs of RAM and a 100 meg drive running
(presently) 2.1.5-RELEASE.  When I installed it (out of morbid curiosity),
I built a kernel, which took about 6 hours.  I'm now doing a (NFS) make
world of the latest RELENG_2_1_0 (nope, no buildworld on that branch.
Anyone wanna try backporting it?  ;).  It's now in Day 8 and building
.../usr.bin/f2c.  It took approximately 7 hours to compile troff,
thrashing madly the whole time (something like 15 pageins/sec, as fast as
the disk would handle).  This is with -O -pipe BTW.  I'm expecting
perhaps 12-15 days for the entire make world.  Fun for the whole family!
:)

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com