Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:45:35 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        Ariff Abdullah <ariff@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org, Alexander@leidinger.net, oliver@FreeBSD.org, dinoex@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libmad mp3 distortions

on 18/09/2009 16:24 Ariff Abdullah said the following:

> It is time for mp3gain/replaygain . You have to retrain your hearing
> and listening comfort.
>
> Search for "Loudness War".

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
It looks like the files already have Replaygain data in APE format (looks to be
produced by mp3gain).
Unfortunately there were two issues:
1) there seems to be a bug in audacious madplug (MPEG/MP3 plugin), because of
which it doesn't correctly parse APEv2 header;
2) the files also contains another APE header (without Replaygain data) that
confuses some players that do not have the same bug as audacious

Anyway, by "applying" Replaygain parameters to MP3 data iself I became a happier
man :-)
Thanks!

--
Andriy Gapon