Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:08:25 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Certification...again

On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 07:24:52PM -0500, Mike Avery wrote:
> On 13 Jul 99, at 8:32, Sue Blake wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 06:01:46PM -0400, Lanny Baron wrote:
>
> > > It appears you are making a joke of it. FreeBSD could come up with
> > > programs for different areas of proficiency. Each with its own
> > > certification. It may not go far right away, but down the road, as with
> > > most good products, it would succeed.
>
> > And who will pay for this to be developed?
>
> It kinda depends.... if all we want is certification, it's cheap and easy.
>  If we want it to *MEAN SOMETHING*, then it'll be harder.

For reference, I contacted TekMetrics about this a couple of weeks ago
when this discussion first surfaced.

They charge USD 20-40,000 to develop a test, depending on the type of test.

I don't know if that's on the high side or the low side for the industry.

I mention this simply as a datapoint.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>