Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:45:08 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran?= Hedman <goran.hedman@teligent.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Configure NIS-client to work with AIX server

Hi
I'm trying to get a FreeBSD 3.4 host to work as a nis client. My nis
server is running on a AIX4.2.1 server. I get some contact with nis but
i can't login with a nis account to the freebsd host. =

If i'm root, i can do SU to my nis account. But if i'm a normal user i
can't do <su - nisuser>. To run <ypcat passwd> works fine.
The host is using DNS and i have my NFS homedir mounted.
 =

I'm new to Freebsd and totally lost. Can anybody help me?

What have i done?

- added this lines last in passwd and group files. (used vipw)
passwd +:::::::::
group +:*::

- This is my nisenties in /etc/defaults/rc.conf
hostname=3D"trophy"
nisdomainname=3D"link.teligent.se" =

nis_client_enable=3D"YES"         # We're an NIS client (or NO).
nis_client_flags=3D""             # Flags to ypbind (if enabled).
nis_ypset_enable=3D"YES"           # Run ypset at boot time (or NO).
nis_ypset_flags=3D""              # Flags to ypset (if enabled).
nis_server_enable=3D"NO"          # We're an NIS server (or NO).
nis_server_flags=3D""             # Flags to ypserv (if enabled).
nis_ypxfrd_enable=3D"NO"          # Run rpc.ypxfrd at boot time (or NO).
nis_ypxfrd_flags=3D""             # Flags to rpc.ypxfrd (if enabled).
nis_yppasswdd_enable=3D"NO"       # Run rpc.yppasswdd at boot time (or
NO).
nis_yppasswdd_flags=3D""          # Flags to rpc.yppasswdd (if enabled).

- In auth.conf =

auth_list       =3D       passwd nis

- In host.conf
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
nis

Have not done anything with login.conf. Should i?

Regards =

/G=F6ran