Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:14:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File system/disk recovery tools ?

[about fs recovery]

> dd the whole disk off onto a file and mount it on a vnode?  You might

unfortunately is 1.6GB ... I need to find a bigger unit!

> have to reconstruct the label and such, and using fsck's '-b' option

actually an annoying thing with fsck -b is that I never know what
to use as an alternate superblock number. 32, says the manpage, is
an alternate superblock, but what are others ? I guess they depend
upon the geometry of the disk... is there a "magic" number that I
can look for ?

	Thanks
	Luigi