Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 15:28:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Kent Ho <kent@graffiti.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Forwarding ip packets with ipfw.

you probably want to use natd to do this rather than ipfw fwd..

ipfw fwd does not change the packet, but, rather, just delivers the
unaltered packet somewhere. (This can be useful, but not for what you want
to do).

Now, if the web server was running FreeBSD you might be able to
do it, but otherwise you need to actually change the packets so that they
reflect the new target. Natd can actually do this I believe.
(it also uses IPFW so you haven't wasted the effort you have done so
far.)

julian