Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 01:50:37 -0700
From:      Jeffrey Hsu <hsu>
To:        asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: maxima port

  >  * Yeah, the program was intended to run out of its own source directory
  >  * and I didn't want to just copy all the lisp and macsyma source over to
  >  * ${DESTDIR}, but I suppose one could.

  > Well, I hope it could, 'cause otherwise it won't run after a "make
  > clean"!  I don't know how it's supposed to run, but copying all the
  > necessary files to under /usr/local/lib/maxima or somewhere should be
  > good enough.

Now I remember.  I take back the part about being able to just copy
over all the source to /usr/local.  Unfortunately, maxima has
hardcoded paths in the binary to the place where it was compiled
and it would take some scrounging around in some very old baroque
non-ansi lisp code to make it look both in /usr/local and
/usr/ports/math/maxima.

If macsyma isn't legacy code, I don't know what is.