Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:53:58 +0200
From:      dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
To:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Isba

On 29 Apr Toomas Aas wrote:

> Well, if you compile your kernel with IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK option
> then the ipf.rules file of zero bytes is an example of very small but
> very tight firewall :-)

That is very true ;-) though not very conveniant..

> Since you didn't mention what you've already read I'd recommend the
> IPFilter Howto: http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/

Of course I visited this "mother of all places for ipf"
I read and printed the how2, but although I learn al lot from, it is's
confusing too in places. And when I compare some scripts from this how2
with a "very tight" ipf-firewall from my FreeBSD doc directory it gets
only harder :-/

> That was the only site I needed when I set up my first IPFilter based
> firewall and I think it's very good.

It _IS_ very good. Maybe too good for me. I have not seen "the light"
yet, but am sure it'll happen oneday..

--
dick -- http://www.nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.8 ++ Debian GNU/Linux (Woody)