Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:27:50 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew McKay <birminghamweb@freeuk.com>
To:        dotslash <dotslash@linif.org>
Cc:        fq <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: can cvsup recover?

>i've been checking the docs,faqs, and even the home of cvsup but i'm unable
>to find out if cvsup can recover from interrupted sessions.  just like the
>way wget can resume interrupted transfers, does cvsup have this feature?  if
>not, then what do those cvsup users do if cvsup gets interrupted during
>transfers?

Due to the way cvsup (and CVS in general) works, the system checks what
versions are installed before it gets anything so that it only gets what
is necessary to update to the latest versions. It updates on a
file-by-file update basis rather than the (for example) Windows Update
which downloads patches in a large, often multi-MB, file and then applies
them.

I don't know if cvsup will sit there merrily while the connection is down
and then auto-resume once the connection is back. I do know that if you
just kill the cvsup process and restart it once the connection is back up
it will pick up exactly where it left off because the files that it has
already done are obviously at the latest version.

All part of the magic that is CVS. Isn't it wonderful? :)