Date:      Tue, 01 Jan 2002 11:58:16 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
Cc:        FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Modem Support

> Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 14:45:54 -0500
> From: "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 10:33:27AM -0500, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
> > Any external modem will work with FBSD on com1 or com2.
>
> I have a cheap external modem that appears to be a win modem.
> I've never been able to use it with anything other than windows.
> In case anyone wants to avoid it, the manufacturer has dubbed
> it the Elsa model (maybe because it uses a serial lion? Or maybe
> because it works only with Windows, and is therefore Bourne free?).
> Before buying an external modem, you should check to see what
> systems it is compatible with, just as you do with internal modems.

There is no way a serial (COM) port connected modem can be a
WinModem.  The only way an external modem could be a WinModem is if
it's a USB modem. It is always possible that it does not use the
"standard" Hayes AT command set, but, if you have or can get the
command set, it will still work with FreeBSD.

I can't imagine any modem less than 5 years old that does not use AT
commands, so I suspect some other problem, line a connection to a
non-functional port or not having BIOS configured properly.

Does another modem work on this port? Does the port probe properly?
(Check dmesg for sio0 (COM1) and sio1 (COM2). They should probe as a
16550 or 16550A. If they probe as an 8250, they are most likely not
working as no reasonably modern system will have an 8250 UART. (It
turns out that the driver test for modem type gets no response from an
8250, so 8250 really means "no response".)

If you see a message about the irq, you probably have a BIOS problem.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)