Date:      Tue, 01 May 2001 17:19:19 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        maillist@coastsight.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bootable CD IV

From: Rick Duvall <maillist@coastsight.com>
Subject: Bootable CD IV
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 12:03:21 -0700 (PDT)

> So, let me get this straight:  To make a bootable CD, you need to:
> [steps alided]

That will essentially work, yes, though I've never seen someone use
/usr directly as a scratch directory before. :-)

> Okay, got that far.  But, it will load the kernel, then hang and say that
> it cannot mount root device /dev/fd0.  This doesn't make any sense to me
> becuase I specifically told fstab on the cd to use the cdrom as root.  Am
> I stupid or something?

Not stupid, just not thinking this all the way through.  The root
mounting code runs well ahead of anything which looks into /etc/fstab;
how indeed could it even find fstab if it didn't know where the root
partition was?  You need to change the kernel's mind about where to
find its root partition, something which can be accomplished in a
variety of ways.  In the case of the boot floppy, we don't even try;
we just use MFS for the root partition and mount the CD elsewhere.
Of all the options, this is in fact the simplest.

- Jordan