Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:26:32 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnome-session 2.4 no longer runs $HOME/.gnomerc

--=-u4RGJYJjzykvsTcoPsff

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 13:18, Stephen Hilton wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:06:14 -0400
> Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:
>=20
> > >=20
> > > .xsession doesn't work the same way.  gdm/Xsession checks for the=20
> > > existence of .xsession an uses that *instead of* the default "ssh-age=
nt=20
> > > -- gnome-session".  .gnomerc used to get executed *after* launching=20
> > > gnome-session so that I could run ssh-add.
> >=20
> > No it didn't.  I always used .gnomerc, and it was always executed by
> > GDM.  Attached is the old code to prove it.  Also, if you grep through
> > the gnome-session-2.2.2 code, you will see no mention of .gnomerc.
> >=20
> > >   Now, the same ability does=20
> > > not exist, so I have to completely recreate the overall structure by=20
> > > first starting ssh-agent in the background in .xsession, then run=20
> > > ssh-add, then exec gnome-session.  This completely severs the ability=
 to=20
> > > automatically kill ssh-agent at logout, and I hve to come up with an=20
> > > alternative, such as leaving a remnant shell to do the clean-up.
> > >=20
> > > What a horrible mess!
> >=20
> > Also attached is my old .gnomerc which calls gnome-session at the end.=20
> > You can certainly add your own commands to this.  Just make sure the
> > last command is exec gnome-session.
>=20
> Could I get futher clarification on this please :)
>=20
> Does Gnome 2.4 use ~/.gnomerc as it does in Gnome 2.2 ?

No, it uses ~/.xsession in much the same way as .gnomerc.  It's doing
this to be more KDE-friendly.  It will only do this if the command is
set to "custom."  To do that, you will need to create a custom
/usr/X11R6/etc/dm/Sessions file with an Exec action of "custom."=20
However, by default, ~/.xsession will not be run.

This is all from looking at the code, so I may be mistaken.  Some of
this may also have changed in 2.4.4.2.  I haven't looked yet.

Joe

>=20
>=20
> Regards,