Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:35:01 -0400
From:      Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
To:        "'atrens@nortelnetworks.com'" <atrens@nortelnetworks.com>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Asus A7V8X mobo + bge driver = panic

From: Andrew Atrens [mailto:atrens@nortelnetworks.com]
> the second link quoted by Don Bowman shows an almost identical chip
> (also characterized as being GigE)
>
> http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/motherboard-reviews/1205_1.html

Actually, the link I sent shows that Asus motherboards have one
or the other broadcom... A 570x OR or a 4401 (its optional).
The 4401 is a 10/100. Suspiciously, 4401 is also the device id
you are seeing...

A quick google search:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=asus+4401
shows that asus has used this 4401 in the past on other motherboards.

I don't suppose you can physically look @ the board and see
if you can find the BCM570X on it? It would likely be near
the RJ45 @ the back.

I have access to the 570x specs, and there is no mention
of 4401 as a valid device id, so either the OEM (Asus) has set it
wrong in the eeprom, or it really is a different chip.

I also forwarded a patch for the bge that causes it to dump out
the VPD and the MFG info.

--don (don@sandvine.com www.sandvine.com)