Date:      Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:14:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Denny White <dennyboy@cableone.net>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System Panics and Core Dump help

Okay, didn't get a dump. Everything's fine
on the system. I was just trying to follow
how to be prepared for a panic, crash, etc.,
to be able to do a backtrace and have info
to give someone trying to help debug the
kernel. First time I rebooted after adding
the new settings, I got:

unable to open bounds file, using 0
no dumps found

And to the best of my knowledge, there was
no bounds file in /var/crash. Now there is,
size is 2k & has an internal value of 5.
Also, now when I boot, I get:

Checking for core dump on /dev/amrd0s1b
no dumps found

And, after rebooting again, I see that the
internal value of /var/crash/bounds has
been incremented by 1, so now it's at 6.
I read where it does that each time it
checks it. Only reason I bugged anyone on
the mailing list about this was I'm still
a relative newbie & didn't want to trash
all the work I'd done with my experimenting
before getting it where it could be fixed if
I did. :) So, as best as I can see it, it's
doing just what it's supposed to do. Thanks
for helping me clear that up, Greg.