Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 13:31:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      BARRY BOUWSMA IS A MASSMURDERER <pedophile@FLUFFY.GETS.AN.ANALPROBE.DK>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Andrey Novikov <novikov@webclub.ru>, Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>
Subject:   Re: Tuning up semaphores in kernel

On Sun, 13 Feb 19100, Andrey Novikov wrote:

> > You probably want to increase either SEMMNI or SEMMNS.
>
> I've noticed that but why are they so "round"? Is there any corelation
> between all these numbers? I don't want to break my kernel by guessing.
>
> > > options         SEMMAP=31
> > > options         SEMMNI=11
> > > options         SEMMNS=61
> > > options         SEMMNU=31
> > > options         SEMMSL=61
> > > options         SEMOPM=101
> > > options         SEMUME=11

I ran into this problem when I was trying to compile and use a useful
Linux audio application and I got the ENOSPC error.

What I did was to look at the Linux kernel semaphore values, and,
since I don't know what I'm doing, I just plugged them into the
FreeBSD kernel config file like this...  (The values given as
examples in the config file are one more than the default, and do
not work with that program either)

#! options		SEMMAP=31
#! options		SEMMNI=11
#! options		SEMMNS=61
#! options		SEMMNU=31
#! options		SEMMSL=61
#! options		SEMOPM=101
#! options		SEMUME=11
options		SEMMAP=4096
options		SEMMNI=128
options		SEMMNS=4096
options		SEMMNU=4096
options		SEMMSL=32
options		SEMOPM=32
options		SEMUME=32

Of course, seeing that I do *not* know what I am doing, I haven't played
with these values to find a happy medium between the FreeBSD defaults
and those used by Linux, with which the audio program works.  But I
have had no problems with the kernel using these values.

Now, I'd like to contribute the hacking and bugfixing I've done on
the linux bplay program to someone for review and possible inclusion
as a port, but if it doesn't work with the supplied kernel and generic
config, I'm not sure what the correct action for me to take would be.

Is there a good reason not to tweak the GENERIC/LINT FreeBSD kernel
config SEM* definitions upwards to something that will allow the bplay
to work out-of-the-box^H^H^Hport?

Or should there just be a huge <BLINK>warning</BLINK> that appears
when building bplay advising that certain kernel parameters may need
tuning before the program has a chance of working, during the
compilation/installation, or just somewhere in the ports files where
it can be ignored?

Otherwise, I can't see that bplay would be particularly useful as a
port, but rather as additional software the user could optionally
choose to hunt down and install...

thanks,
barry bouwsma, tele damnark internet

--

     *** This was posted with the express permission of ***