Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 1999 17:14:11 -0800
From:      Michael Haro <mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   What do you think?

What do you think about creating some sort of variable in the Makefile
like NEXT_VERSION or something which contains either a regular expression
or printf like format string so that a script can go through the ports and
check for new versions.  At the moment it is next to impossible to automate
checking for new verions because programs all use different naming schemes.
If we added something like...

DISTNAME=       proftpd-1.2.0pre3
NEXT_VERSION=   proftpd-%d.%d.%d[pre%d]

Using %d to mean any digit and stuff in [] to mean optional then we could
probably have a perl script go through and check for new versions of all
the ports, or at least those which have an ftp site as a master site.

I started working on a script to see if this was possible, but I'm
currently stuck.  I have it converting the line above into a regex but I
can't get perl to use that expression.  It works when I hard code it into
the script, just not when the regex is in a variable.  I'm probably missing
something really simple.

Anyway, let me know what you think of this idea.

Michael