Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:58:27 -0500
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org,  rihad@mail.ru
Subject:   Re: tcpwrappers & SSH

On 10/25/06 09:56, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Wednesday, October 25, 2006 12:08:26 +0400 ????? ???????
> <rihad@mail.ru> wrote:
>
>> A comment in /etc/hosts.allow states that:
>> Wrapping sshd(8) is not normally a good idea
>>
>> Why? Is it because such restrictions should naturally be made using a
>> firewall/PAM/sshd itself/whatever? I think GENERIC sshd wouldn't have
>> been built with libwrap support in the first place. Or?
>>
> Because maintaining the access list can be quite ponderous if you have a
> lot of users.
>
> I maintain a hobby website that only has two shell accounts.  I use
> hosts.allow for ssh because it gets rid of the brute-force crap.  But
> even for two users, the list of hosts/networks that are allowed is 10 or
> 15. Imagine what it would be if you have a hundred users...or a thousand.

Viewed from a slightly different angle...

If you are responsible for maintaining machine xyz, and you have used
tcpwrappers... chances are you'll eventually need access to that machine
from a location you did not previously expect.  Maybe your sitting in
the airport and get a call that the machine is malfunctioning.  Maybe
you are on call at a social gathering.  In any case, you'll need access
and if it is using tcpwrappers, you may not gain access.

IMHO, other than the problem with needing "emergency" access, I think
tcpwrappers is a good thing.  I use then on my laptop for example.  As
Paul mentions, it gets rid of the constant hammering you would normally
be subject to, and I can still access it from the office or home.

--
Regards,
Eric