Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 09:50:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andy McConnell <andym@ntt.net>
To:        Jonathan Frazier <wolfnet@wolfnet-irc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADSL??

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Jonathan Frazier wrote:

}I am getting an ADSL connection set up this next week and need some
}help/opinions.  I have never done it on a FBSD system before.  I am
}running 3.2-stable as of last night.  My options are the Cisco 675
}external ADSL modem or the 605 Internal ADSL modem.  I'm not sure what's
}out there for FBSD and ADSL and if my system can use the internal NIC.
}Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Go with external.  Much more flexible, and you can choose a NIC that
is known to work with FreeBSD.  Besides, that way you can negotiate with
your DSL provider to use the external "modem" as where they stop their
support - don't let them mess with your FreeBSD machine!

Success story:

	3.1-RELEASE
	Using the Kingston 10/100 NIC that PacBell shipped!
	I use natd, works very well.

	I'm over 17,000 feet from the central office, and I can get
1.08Mbps max throughput (measured by fetching the latest version of
netscape).  Not too bad for $50/month.

	I had a small problem using a second 10/100 NIC and a 10/100 NIC
on a windows box on the internal net through a 10mbps NetGear hub... but
worked around it by forcing the windows box to use 10mbps in software.

-andy

--
Andy McConnell      		真向練 安堵龍
Network and IP Service Division, NTT America

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low
crime rate."
               - M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC