Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 20:56:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD w/ 7 GIG Maxtor IDE HD

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Doug White wrote:

> > > Hung where, exactly?  Some systems have adverse effects to the terminal
> > > init stuff in the dialog library and will jam there.  My laptop happens to
> > > be one of them.  Try the new 2.2.5 install floppy, and don't worry too
> > > much about the geometry as of yet.  If you are dedicating the whole disk
> > > to FreeBSD, it may help to put a DOS partition on the disk, then delete it
> > > and install FreeBSD over it.  This helps sysinstall get the geometry
> > > right.
> >
> > 	The part where it hangs is during the boot disk probing, right
> > after the probing, it's supposed to go to the sysinstall menu, instead, it
> > just hangs there.
>
> So, what do you see on the screen when this locks up?  I think I know
> where this is, but i'd like to confirm.

	Nothing, it's right after probing and the sysinstall menu so the
screen was a complete black.

> > I've verified this with the 2.2.5-RELEASE floppy as
> > well.  The funny thing is the boot disk works fine with even a 9 GIG Fast
> > Wide SCSI drive and smaller IDE drives except for this one.
>
> Is the IDE controller (wdc) and the disk probing properly?  You can hit
> Scroll-Lock and use the arrow keys to scroll back.

	Nope, the problem was it wasn't probing correctly.

> > I tried dedicating a whole disk with FreeBSD but never made it that far.
> > I ran /stand/sysinstall as well and normally it would ask me which
> > drives I want to install FreeBSD on but instead, it just defaults to sd0
> > without giving me a choice.
>
> This sounds like the disk isn't probing properly.
>
> > As long as I can get to the sysinstall menu, I can type in the geometry
> > for the drive but I can't.  It seems like the drive itself is reporting
> > the wrong info since it says Maxvor instead of Maxtor when probed.
>
> That's odd.  I wonder if the firmware on your disk is corrupted or is
> buggy.

	it was actually the cable of all things.

> > I tried doing a dos partition but the largest partition fat16 supports
> > is 2 gigs so it didn't really make a difference.  I was just wondering
> > if anyone out there got this Maxtor 7 gig or any of the 6.4 gig drives
> > working.
>
> The problem with big disks is that after about 4 gigs, the access times
> start hurting your performance.  You can get better performance by using
> two 4 gig disks, which allows you to overlay commands on each disk
> (assuming you're using SCSI or one IDE controller per disk).

	It doesn't matter that much on performance since the drive is only
for backup tarball's in case the main 9 gig SCSI wide drive fail but it
works now.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]