Date:      Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:46:24 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apple moving to x86

On Jun 7, 2005, at 10:09 PM, Stephen Hurd wrote:

> David Kelly wrote:
>

>> Think possibly I didn't speak clearly enough. Apple is not
>> *adding*  commodity-ness to their product line. Thinking about it
>> I'd bet part  of the deal with Intel is a special crypto block or
>> similar in the  CPU uniquely identifying it as an Apple Blessed
>> CPU. Apple does this  very thing with disk drives. Originally
>> Apple SCSI drivers would only  format and configure Apple-blessed
>> drives. Currently the same thing  holds true for internal CD/DVD
>> drives. But put the same non-Apple  drive on Firewire and MacOS is
>> happy with it.
>>

> You must be dealing with an older "originally" than I.  I've
> replaced the 40MB HD in an SE/30 with a 700-oddMB IBM one from a PS/
> 2 with no issues.  Ditto for a pair of uh... *goes and looks* IIci
> macs.  Are we talking way back when Apple didn't use standard
> SCSI-1 (Which, I think is because there was no formal standard)?
> May as well complain that you couldn't replace the "non-standard"
> 800k floppy with a "standard" 720k one.

No, "Apple SC Setup" would not do a non-Apple SCSI drive. This might
have changed with MacOS 9. MacOS X has never complained about any IDE
HD I have tried.

As for "standard SCSI" there were a lot of things being done by
everyone back then which was questionable. "Blind reads" for one. A
number of companies made a good living making and supporting 3rd
party Macintosh SCSI drivers. As varied as the hardware compliance
was back then it was very wise of Apple not to stick their neck out
for hard drives they did not sell.

Recently I put a Sony CD-RW in a G4-400 running MacOS X 10.2.x. To
use Apple's drivers I had to hack out the name of an Apple product in
a file and substitute the ID string the Sony answered with. Would
have to do the same thing if one purchased a non-Apple Pioneer DVD-RW
drive even with the latest OS. I don't know why, or make apologies
for Apple but it might have something to do with the reason FreeBSD
does not enable DMA on ATAPI by default:

ATA(4) says:
      Unknown ATAPI devices are initialized to DMA mode if the
hw.ata.atapi_dma
      tunable is set to 1 and they support at least UDMA33
transfers.  Other-
      wise they are set to PIO mode because severe DMA problems are
common even
      if the device capabilities indicate support.  You can always
try to set
      DMA mode on an ATAPI device using atacontrol(8), but be aware
that your
      hardware might not support it and can potentially hang the
entire system
      causing data loss.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net