Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:59:26 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel configuration

You're installing from a CD or floppies?
My sequence of floppies is to start with kern.flp then mfsroot.flp.
That should work, not unless there is a device that you're disbaling in
the process of configuring your kernel but which is required by the
system.
I suggest you skip kernel config and see if it still hangs...you can
always disble other devices later after successful install by comparing
notes with dmesg..it will tell you those devices that you can disble by
marking them with 'not found' tag..

Good luck

Thus spake Kim Jeansson (hik)
(kj22ae@student.hik.se):

> I seem to have a problem with configurate my kernel when installing FreeB=
SD-4.0-stable on my IBM Aptiva. I've heard that FreeBSD doesn't support IBM=
 Aptivas that good. When I boot from the disks and run the mfsroot.flp disk=
 and configurate the kernel and chose save and exit it starts to display th=
is info (below) and then the computer just hangs and it won't go any furthe=
r and nothing happens and I can't do anything and I have to reboot. Is ther=
e anyone who knows what's wrong and what I can do about it. Thanks in advan=
ce
>=20
> avail memory =3D 40632320 (396680 k bytes)
> Preloaded elf kernel =94kernel=94 at 0xc063c000
> Preloaded mfs_root =94/mfsroot=94 at 0xc03c084
> Intel Pentium detected, installing workaround for F00F bug
> md0: Preloaded image </mfsroot> 2949120 bytes at 0xc036aff8
> md1: Malloc disk
> npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
> npx0: INT 16 interface
> pcib0: <Host to PCI bridge> on motherboard
> pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
> isab0: <SiS 85c503 PCI-ISA bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
> isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
> atapci0: <SiS 5591 ATA33 controller> port 0xfe80-0xde8f,0x374-0x377,0x170=
-0x177,
> 0x3f4-0xf7,0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 0 at device 1.1 on pci0
> ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
> ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
> pci0: <SiS 86c205 SVGA controller> at 20.0
>=20
>=20
> Kim
>=20
>=20
>=20

Odhiambo Washington
Systems Administrator
Inter-Connect Ltd.
3rd Flr The Chancery
Valley Rd
PO Box 39519 Nairobi
Tel: 254 2 711140
Fax: 254 2 718418

Only the wisest and the stupidest of men never change. -Confucius=20