Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:21:53 -0500
From:      Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd@atipa.com, tom@sdf.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pentium II?

At 11:39 AM 8/2/97 +0200, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
>*Can run* being the operative phrase here. According to Intel's Web site:
>
>PPro-200, 256 KB L2 cache	8.20 SPECint95
>PII-233, 512 KB L2 cache	9.49 SPECint95
>
>So 15.7% higher SPECint95 at 16.5% higher clock rate. Personally, I don't
>want to draw any conclusions at all from these numbers - they are so very
>close.

Right.  It *can run* faster.  Sometimes it's faster, sometimes it's slower.
It depends on the cache hit rates.

The old saw is that the Pentium Pro is faster "clock-for-clock" than the
Pentium II.  That may often be true for "clockrate-for-clockrate"
comparisons measured over a time period, but it is not generally true on
a "clockcycle-for-clockcycle" basis.  I was just trying to point out that
important difference.

-
Tony