Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 2010 01:16:22 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7 installs where FreeBSD 8 wont due to CD

on 07/12/2010 00:51 Pete French said the following:
> Trying to re-install a set of HP servers over the iLO, and every time
> I tried to install the 8.1 CD I ended up with an error message
> telling me that the CD looked more like an audio CD than a FreeBSD
> distibution.
>
> I ouzzled over it a bit, and then remembered that I originally installed
> these machines using 7 not 8. So I download the 7.3 install CD
> and I get an extra step in the process, listing two CD drived - cd0
> and acd0 - whuch allows me to select the correct one.
>
> I havent had a chance to see if this bug exists in the latest snapshot
> of 8, but I thought it was worth pointing out, as its a situation
> where 8 doesnt work but 7 did. It takes about 45 minuets to boot each
> image over the internet, so I am reluctant to try a more recent 8
> snapshot in case I am back to square one again.
>
> Anyone know if this is fiex, or should I file a PR ?

Basically if it feels like you are the first one to report the problem, then,
unfortunately, the onus is on you...
And, well, opening a PR doesn't do any magic.

For non-ports problems the PR database is a burial ground.  It's not very
frequent to see an issue reported via a PR to get resolved unless the reporter
also actively pursues it. And, on the other hand, it's quite often that the
issues get resolved when those who report/experience them are actively engaging
into communication with developers and fellow FreeBSD users via the mailing lists.
In my opinion, opening a PR is the last resort when everything else has failed.
That happens sometimes - people with related expertise may be busy or a problem
may be sufficiently obscure or something of that nature...

So, my concrete suggestion is - please first try the latest version of FreeBSD
that you consider to possibly use in the near future.  If there is a problem
with it, then please get back and let's try to get it solved.

To repeat myself - there is no magic, problems only get solved by those who try
solve them.

--
Andriy Gapon