Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 15:41:36 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Touchpad (on NEC Versa 6030X), FreeBSD 4.0-RC (20000307), & XF86  3.3.6

I don't know for certain in your case, but when I was playing with the
ALPS Glidepoint pointing device a few years ago, this all made sense.
There wasa bit in the first byte of the mouse message (0x80, I think,
but could be wrong), which is "always" set and used to help find the
first byte of the multi-byte mouse message.  The ALPS touchpad device
would set this to zero to indicate the "tap" gesture on the pad.  I
think this explains why the code is the way it is in the mouse driver.

I don't know why your device would behave differently.   As you
observed, there's a lot of whacko PC hardware that has only a passing
similarity to other stuff.  Perhaps this is the "added value" your
vendor has chosen to give to you :-)

louie