Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 11:46:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Craig Terlau <craig@terlau.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server Hardware

I built a couple of FreeBSD servers on Compaq hardware and did not have
any problems.  Just be sure to get the brands you want
installed... Seagate or Western Digital hard drives is what I look for and
3Com ethernet cards.

Since sound and video really are not much of an issue for a server you do
not have to worry much about those.  If you have a problem with the video
card, you can replace it with a very cheap generic card.  If you want to
run X windows, look at the compatibility listings.

But if you can, avoid Compaq hardware if possible.  I found that they use
custom hardware which may cause problems.  If you simply build your own,
with the parts you want, you will be much happier.

The last server I build I built over the phone with a tech at...

http://www.aberdeeninc.com/

I told him what I wanted and that I was installing FreeBSD on it and
needed specific hardware.  We built it piece by piece and they assembled
it at no cost.  They then run it for 48 hours to ensure there are no flaws
in the hardware and ship the box off to you.  I was very pleased with
their service and the quality of their work.  I think I will use them
again.

Perhaps one of the best things I can say about them is the guy I talked to
on the phone actually knew the hardware, unlike my experience with other
places, including the local computer hardware chain.

I wrote an article about this a while back...

http://www.daemonnews.org/200002/new-box.html

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?