Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2007 18:16:15 +0100
From:      cpghost <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Torrent Server

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 05:02:02AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Which is exactly why I cannot understand why anyone would want to
> use bittorrent to legitimately distribute anything.  Why use a service that
> the RIAA is actively attacking, because such service is being used to
> illegally distribute pirated music?
>
> It's called guilt by association.

Nope. Bittorrent is a distribution protocol which doesn't care
what the payload is. Just like FTP. Just like TCP, IP and UDP.
Should we avoid IP as well, because it's being used for distributing
illegitimate payload? Guilt by association?

> for some morons based on a guilt by association reason, then on the other
> hand turn a blind eye to the guilt by association of using a service,
> bittorrent,
> that is extremely heavily used for distribution of pirated software and
> music,
> to distribute FreeBSD.

See above. What about USENET? Despite gazillions of copyvios,
there are still valid and legitimate groups there which are
not harmed in the least by this. Let's not fall into the
RIAA/MPAA/IFPI/... trap here who are trying to enforce a centralized
distribution network of many clients and as few servers as possible
that they could strangle at will.

Having said that, FreeBSD's FTP mirrors are perfectly suitable
for the task at hand and using them is usually much faster than
P2P anyway (esp. to all people using asymetric link with severly
reduced upload bandwidth). A big thanks to all bandwidth donors.

> Ted

Regards,
-cpghost.

--