Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:38:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Backspace and Delete keys under PuTTY

Jonathan Chen wrote to Adrian Penisoara:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:17:17PM +0200, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >   But I have Bash as the default shell. And yes, it works changing
> > the Terminal / Keyboard / "Backspace key" from "Contrl-? (127)" to
> > "Control-H", but the users are pissed off by the fact that Linux
> > doesn't need this -- does it mean FreeBSD has broken termcap
> > entries or that Linux is just stepping on the traditional
> > standards ?
>
> It's Linux that's stepping on standards. Their default config is to
> have erase=DEL. All other UNIX boxen I've used have erase=BACKASPCE.
> I suspect the PUTTY writers have been heavily influenced by Linux.

Ok. I'll bite.

Has anyone taken the time to really fine tune PuTTY's settings to work
well with FreeBSD and {n}curses apps? Somewhat ironically, the best
results I have received thus far are to use xterm-color and ^H for
erase. This works perfectly in tcsh/bash, but suffers somewhat in
curses or ncurses programs such as PINE or lpe. Results with these
settings vary depending on the application. PINE, for example, screams
"Unknown Command" when I try to use Home/End/Delete/ PgUp/PgDn. With
lpe, everything works except Home/End. Let me tell you, on a Dvorak
keyboard, the usual ^Q and ^R aren't exactly intuitive or convenient.
:-)

I've tried various permutations of vt220, linux, and cons30, with
changes to the other keyboard settings in PuTTY, as well as trying to
nudge things with stty and termcap. So far, though, the above
described configuration, with the stock FreeBSD termcap, is as close
as I've come. I guess I just really haven't been irritated enough yet
to start debugging control codes. ;-)

Has anyone *really* figured it out?

Maybe I should just throw an old Pentium "SSH client" on my desk.
That doesn't really help me when I'm on site, though. :-)

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon