Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:36:24 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Vinum] Stupid benchmark: newfsstone

> > If you have two drives 4.1GB and two that are 4.3GB, and you want to
> > stripe them, you have to use a base size of 4.1GB and throw away 400MB.
> > Either that, or you subdivide the disks into multiple partitions
> > looking for the largest common submultiple.  Yuck.
>
> That's exactly what we do, except that we don't throw away the rest:
> it remains available for other plexes.  400 MB could come in handy
> somewhere.  You'd write:
>
>   sd drive a length 4100m
>   sd drive b length 4100m
>   sd drive c length 4100m
>   sd drive d length 4100m
>
> What's the problem?

The problem is that it's irrelevant to the matter at hand.  I've just
said "I want a striped volume across all of these disks".  I don't want
to futz around with spillage, I just want a striped volume across these
disks.  Sure, your config tool would put something like the above in
the config file (that's what I meant by ignoring bits of the disk), but
if the lossage is < 10% I wouldn't bother even emitting a warning
message.